Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Lincoln Display--Extra Credit Opportunities


There are quite a few events planned in conjunction with the Lincoln display in the library.  You may have an extra credit point or two for attending any of these events:
  • 10/1 – 6:30 - Opening reception with Civil War era music by the Aberdeen University/Symphony strings
  • 10/8 – 7pm - Dr. Elden Lawrence will discuss Lincoln’s impact on the Dakota, his role in the executions at Mankato, and his perception among Native Americans.
  • 10/20 – 3pm – Mr. Robert Kolbe will discuss Civil War era photography  - how it was done and what was produced.  He will also discuss images of Dakota Territory that Lincoln may have seen in his lifetime.
  • 10/28 – 7pm – Dr. Jon Schaff will present “Abraham Lincoln and the War Power: Has Presidential War Making Gone Too Far”
I'd *especially* like you to attend Dr. Schaff's talk on October 28th.  Dr. Schaff did his dissertation on aspects of Lincoln's policies, and getting to hear him talk on this subject should be especially helpful.

To get your extra credit points, just comment here on which presentation you attended and what you thought of it.


6 comments:

  1. I attended Dr. Lawrence's speech on Dakota and what Lincoln did to help within the civil war. I thought his talk was very interesting and was helpful in understanding the way natives lived and still live today. The personal story that the lady shared about her grandfather was a real big eye opener as well.

    - Braden Goldade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I attended Dr. Lawrence's speech about the Dakota Indians and Lincoln. I thought he talked about a lot of interesting topics, and I learned a lot. I didn't know that the Cherokee had presented a case to the Supreme Court and won. I was very glad I attended this speaker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I as well attended Dr. Elden Lawrence's speech about the Dakota life style and President Lincoln. I learned many interesting facts just on Dr. Lawrence alone, which include: a former president of a college, spent six years in the military, and lastly, when he was young he thought he was born with a curse since he was Indian.
    It's hard to think that all these tragic events took place in the past. Especially how Jackson gave all the power to the whites and refused to help Indians... how the world has changed today. On another note, people would take the land away from the Indians and sell it cheap. That is just slapping the Indians in the face.
    Finally, I liked how Dr. Lawrence ended his speech. He said, "Things will turn out right, God will help us".
    I thought it was nice to get a different perspective on other's lives.
    ~Alexis Tappe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listened to Dr. Lawrence's speech discussing the Dakota and Lincoln tonight. I thought the speech was interesting as well as informative. Its difficult to believe that someone so successful had no formal education until high school. I enjoyed the comment he made on how a nation should be judged based on how they treat their poor. Also, I liked the amount of emphasis he put on getting a higher education.
    -Adam Rye

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to Dr. Lawrence's discussion of Lincoln. I enjoyed his speech. I enjoyed how he really brought a more humanistic side to Lincoln, rather than the heroic side we are commonly exposed to.

    Kaitlynn Loos

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to the speech of Dr. Lawrence on which he told the audience that Lincoln wasn't the best man as the president, well not as good as the books make him seem like, but he did make a huge change with the whole United States and some of slavery. He went back from when the French came over and started to fight with the natives. I though it was a very interesting story when he was able to tie it in with the Civil War. He was able to tell us the pain and the suffering of what happened in the Dakotas and that no one really cared to help others, only themselves. I felt like he was able to inform young and old, from what his own eyes have seen and what he experienced. As man people say, the older you get the wiser you become, but then the old wise men are able to teacher the young so that they may do better in their life.


    Riley Nooner

    ReplyDelete